As a busy working Mom, I am always looking for quick and easy recipes that are safe for my gluten-free and vegan 11 year-old. This hearty and fiber-rich black bean soup simmered away in my crock pot for two days and the high protein was a much needed added plus. We served it with gluten-free bread and vegan butter spread on a cold snowy night. My son thought it tasted like the black beans he eats at Chipotle. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Sort and wash beans; place in a large bowl. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain.
2. Combine beans, broth, and next 5 ingredients in a crock pot. Cover and cook on LOW 10 hours. Discard bay leaves. Stir in juice and salt. Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 6 bowls; sprinkle each with 2 teaspoons chopped cilantro.