I am sorry about the lack of yummy gluten-free posts lately. I have re-entered the work force and am trying to figure out how to balance it all. I haven’t figured it out yet but I have been making lots of tasty gluten-free meals that I have been dying to share with you. So, to celebrate the warm weather finally arriving here in Denver I have been grilling like crazy. Here I share one of my new favs. Gluten-Free, dairy free Southwestern-Style Shrimp Taco Salad. Even my 3 kids liked this one and it is on a permanent rotation in our house for the summer. Enjoy!
Gluten-Free Southwestern-Style Shrimp Taco Salad
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons chipotle hot sauce
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 ears shucked corn
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 ounces baked blue corn tortilla chips (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup diced peeled avocado
- Lime wedges (optional)
1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
2. Combine lime juice, olive oil, cumin, garlic, syrup, and hot sauce in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place the shrimp in a shallow bowl. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the lime juice mixture over shrimp, tossing gently to coat. Reserve the remaining lime juice mixture; set aside. Thread shrimp onto metal skewers. Lightly coat corn with cooking spray. Place shrimp kebabs and corn on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 8 minutes, turning kebabs once and turning corn frequently until browned. Remove from grill; cool slightly.
3. Remove shrimp from skewers, and place in a large bowl. Cut kernels from ears of corn. Add corn, chopped lettuce, green onions, cilantro, black beans, and plum tomatoes to shrimp. Drizzle reserved lime juice mixture over the shrimp mixture, and toss gently to combine.
4. Divide tortilla chips evenly among 6 shallow bowls; top each serving with 1 cup shrimp mixture. Mash avocado in a small bowl. Top each serving with avocado. Serve with a lime wedge, if desired.